Friday, September 30, 2011

Night Shade -- #FridayFlash

I was introduced to the #FridayFlash on Twitter only 2 weeks ago. I had to do some research as to what it is and how it works. But basically, you write a flash fiction (1000 words or less) and post it on Fridays. Simple as that.

If you are interested in learning more, or reading other stories, here's the official website for #FridayFlash.

This is my first attempt at something like this. In fact, I wrote this before I wrote my 2nd #WriteCampaign Challenge but I figured I would post that first.

I would love to hear your comments. Anything I could have done better? different? Anything you particularly liked?

Thank you!


Night Shade
Wisps of clouds hung in the sky in front of a full moon. Shadows etched on the ground below my open window. I leaned out over the ledge in hopes of finding a breeze in the heavy air.
            In the moonlight I could see the mountainous grooves left by the day’s travelers etched in the dusty road in front of our house. I looked down the road for comfort. Annie’s house was not that far and I could make out the lantern in the window. Annie always left it on for me, in case I woke in the middle of the night and needed her. It was her way of letting me know she was there for me.
            I never liked the night. SHE came in the night. Only Annie believed and comforted me. She understood. 
           A full moon was less chilling than a new moon, but still I shuddered. In the fields between our two houses, I watched a shadow move across the fields between our two houses. I strained to make out the shape. My heartbeat drummed in my ears and my eyes widened in realization. It was HER! She was coming!
            Frozen to my window, I watched as the shadow skimmed the tops of the grass making its way towards Annie’s house.
            No! I thought. Not Annie! Please, not her!
            Annie’s lantern dimmed.
No, Annie, No! Don’t go! I screamed in my head.
Annie’s shadow darkened her window as the Shade paced the ground below. I watched in horror, fear gripped my heart, as Annie climbed out her bedroom window. I refused to breath as Annie disappeared into the darkness that was the Night Shade. 

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh scary. Is she going to go after Anne? Feels like there could be there more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, more, more, more! Nice build up to the Night Shade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very intriguing. You kept me all the way to the end. Now I want more. Thanks for your comment to my site. Good luck with your writing. May we all be successful.d

    ReplyDelete