Friday, April 8, 2011

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling Review

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious HowlingThe Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


My 8 year old son began reading this and lost interest rather quickly. When I picked it up to read it I could understand why. It is written in period language. I am not sure even a girl of the same age would find this an easy read. Maybe it's the age. Maybe had my son been a bit older, say 10 or 12, it might have been more interesting. Aside from that, I really did enjoy the book.

I rather enjoyed the language of the book. The author did a very good job with the style of the period. It was proper, as any refined and educated girl would be expected to be.

The story is about a 15 year old girl who just graduated from Swanburne Academy. As governess, she quickly learns the truth about the "wild children" of Ashton Place and vows to treat them and educate them like children should be. She has a grand task ahead of her and shows just how exceptional a teacher she is by books end...but there is more to the story.

I knew from the beginning that this was a series of books, but did not realize that the story itself would not be finished in the first book. So, be warned, you may want to get the second and third book lined up for when you are done with the first!



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Yes, always a problem, isn't it. I write historical fiction for children, but apart from the odd word or two, and a few phrases to give the flavour of the period, I leave the rest alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review - I guess I won't suggest it (yet) to my 8 year old. Historical MG fiction must be a tough sell. It has to really flow and have a strong plot.

    ReplyDelete