Monday, October 25, 2010

Thank you all for the welcome!

Thank you all for the welcome. It is most kind. I am in the process of reading all of your blogs and subscribing to them as well. It is slow going. There is never enough time in the day to do everything. There is so much information out there!

I am having a hard time discerning what area I am most interested in writing for. I do not have any drawing skills whatsoever. I have ideas for what I think are picture books, but I don't know what age group to classify them in. I also have ideas of what the pictures should look like in the books, but where do you go for an illustrator? Do you just write the story by words alone? I think I am going to have to do more research before I do any more writing. I feel like a big fat FAIL!

All this information I am reading has really either confused me or just made me feel inadequate again. I really do not want that feeling any more, but it seems to creep up all the time. I know nothing in life is ever easy. And if I want it, I must work hard for it. But why do these feelings always seem to creep up and get me down? They just need to go away! I keep telling myself it's a slow learning process. I guess we all go through this from time to time. I just need to get over it. 


Currently, I am working on an idea and trying to learn how to expound upon it into some type of children's book. I will undoubtedly need to go to the library and start reading books on "how to write for children(or picture books)" something similar. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
--LadyJai

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry about illustrations at all. If you write a picture book, the editor will want to pick an illustrator. So, no worries there! I thought the best book about picture book writing I've found is "Writing Picture Books" by Ann Whitford Paul. It takes you through step-by-step and presents everything in a very un-intimidating way. It is like taking a class on picture books (with homework assignments and everything!). I was totally intimidated by all the info out there too, but don't give up. You'll find your footing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Megan on best book! We're critique partners, by the way. Thanks for the follow on my blog. And good luck with PiBoIdMo. See you around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey LadyJai, don't be intimidated. I started out writing picture books, there's a lot of info out there, but the book Megan suggested sounds like a great place to start.

    Good luck with it all, don't be afraid to ask questions if you aren't sure about something :)

    Rach

    ReplyDelete